The Lawrence School, Lovedale is an educational institution in Lovedale, located near Ootacamund, Tamil Nadu, India, and named for its founder, Sir Henry Montgomery Lawrence. Lawrence had mooted the idea about the establishment of a chain of schools with a view to provide education to the children of the deceased and serving soldiers and officers of the British army. Lawrence was himself killed in the Indian Mutiny, also called India’s First War of Independence. His dream took shape and four such schools, known as Lawrence Asylum, were established in India: the first two during his lifetime in 1847 at Sanawar, the second at Mount Abu in 1856; the third at Ootacamund in 1858 and the fourth in Ghora Gali, Murree in 1860, in present day Pakistan.
Name, emblem and motto:
In 1913, the name of the school was changed from Lawrence Asylum to Lawrence Memorial School. On being accorded royal patronage in 1922, the name of the school was changed in 1925 to the Lawrence Memorial Royal Military School. Soon after India’s independence, the school was handed over to the civilian authorities of the Government of India in 1949; subsequently the name of the school was changed to The Lawrence School, as it is known today. As the school was located in Lovedale, the school is also simply referred to as "Lovedale".
The motto of the school is "Never Give In". The motto embodies the spirit of the Lawrencian – to pursue a task to its fullest, giving one’s best at all times.
The Lawrence School, Lovedale, has a campus of 710 acres (3.0 km2). Lovedale, six kilometres (3.7 miles) from Ootacamund, located at a height of 7200 feet above sea level, slightly lower than the Dodabetta peak (altitude: 8000 feet), the highest peak of the Nilgiris mountain range. The school campus is divided into Prep school (classes four to six), Junior school (classes seven and eight) and senior school (classes nine to 12). The classrooms and dormitories of the schools are housed in their respective buildings. The girls are housed in the girl's school and are required to go to the respective schools for classes. Although the campus is huge, the built up area is only 45 acres (0.3 KM²).
The school is governed by a Board Of Governors appointed by the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India, and is managed operationally by the headmaster, an ex-officio member of the Board.
The Prefectorial Body:
The Lawrence School, Lovedale, has a Prefectorial Body headed by a Head Boy and Head Girl. They are responsible for maintaining discipline and upholding the honour and name of the school.
The school has an alumni association - the Old Lawrencian Association (OLA) - with chapters and branches in several major Indian and international cities. Alumni are generally referred to as 'OLs'.
The school is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi.
Member of IPSC
Aegis of the HRD Ministry.
Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia